The Church was founded in 1936 by Bishop James and Sis. Ethel Cornett, and was first located in Linville before being moved to Newland. After 50 years of leadership, the Cornetts retired and Rev. Dave and Jannie Atkins were elected to serve as Pastor In 1986.
In 1999, after years of planning, the church moved into their current location at 288 Calvary St. in Newland. It is conveniently located in the heart of Newland, adjacent to the park and river walk. In 2016 the church celebrated 80 years in Avery County, and 30 years under the Pastorship of the Atkins family.